Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What's the big deal about Banff?

I am not a fan of whiny blogs and upon rereading my initial post, I may have fallen into that trap somewhat.

The bottom line is that once I commit to go, I will do whatever it takes to get to Banff. Every year, despite the perceived obstacles, the artistic and personal payoff has been huge. Most of the people who have attended this program over its many years will tell you the same.

I now consider the challenges I mentioned yesterday to be an annual ordeal to endure, some sort of test of my determination to attend.

So what's the big deal with going there anyways?

Here's the official website.

The jazz programs in May come in two segments. The first is the 11-day Hugh Fraser Jazz Orchestra Workshop, with a 3-day composers residency tacked onto the front. Each year, Hugh will have one guest artist whose work includes progressive large ensemble writing.

After that comes the Banff International Workshop in Jazz and Creative Music, about 3 weeks of programs overseen by the great Dave Douglas, which is more focussed on individual and small combo playing. Dave has a much larger faculty of guest artists, all outstanding in their particular field. In very general terms, Hugh's program is more group-oriented, while Dave's is much more individual.

Some people take (or are accepted into) only one of the programs, some do both for a total of almost 5 weeks. In my opinion, that's the musical equivalent of getting a prolonged full body massage by the entire East German women's luge team - you will get hurt, and it won't be pretty. I've only done Hugh's program.

Hugh's philosophy towards the making of music is a very inclusive, community-oriented idea. The fabric of society (the universe, if he's in a cosmic mindset) is strengthened and enriched by the act of creating music that comes from the heart, and the more people who do so, the better. This sets a very welcoming tone for the entire duration of the workshop. All the musicians in the program have something to offer, regardless of their level of technical accomplishment.

That being said, it's a pretty damn fine bunch of players in the orchestra. Admission is by audition and often the competetion for a spot is fierce. I consider myself to be extremely fortunate and honoured to spend time with all of them.

And it's not all sitting in a circle singing Kumbaya. When it gets down to performance time, I've seen Hugh really crack down on the band if the the music is not being played at the highest level possible. As a musician, I am always challenged to push though barriers and exceed perceived limitations.

Without many of the pressures of regular daily life (day jobs, family, familiar gigs, bills, TV, etc.), it can be an emotional and musical crucible. After a number of days there, a person can start feeling pretty raw. Different people handle it in different ways. A very few simply leave, some dig in, some break down, some self-medicate to excess, some blossom. It's often unpredictable.

And that unpredictability is one of the things I treasure about going up there. I have no idea what is in store for me. I expect to play a lot of fabulous music with great, great musicians. I expect to work my ass off. I expect to have a blast and the occasional hangover. I expect to make new friends and connections, some of them possibly very significant in my life.

But after the program is all said and done for another year, I have always had some sort of epiphany, possibly about my music, or maybe about myself as a person. In the midst of the experience itself at Banff, it may be ecstatic, or it could be really shitty - I've had it both ways. It is always unexpected and often comes straight out of left field, and may not hit me until weeks or months afterward, then BAM, the old light bulb goes on.

It's one of the prime reasons I keep coming back to this workshop whenever I can. I know Hugh understands the powerful effects that this program has on of its participants. Once I've committed in my heart to go, I'd crawl over over broken glass to make sure it happens. Maybe that's one reason he has me back.

No comments: