Monday, May 01, 2006

It always happens to me...

This is my fourth time to go to the Banff Centre to participate in the Hugh Fraser Jazz Orchestra Workshop and except for the first time round, I'm starting to recognize some familiar patterns.

1. I'm not ready. I always vow to practice like a fiend and have all my doubles up to scratch. Instead life imposes itself on my well-intended plans and my practice time evaporates. Do I have my Afro-Cuban chops down? Not even close. Well there's always time this week to cram. Yeah, right.

2. I don't know what horns I am supposed to play. I have the full gamut of saxophones from soprano to bass, also clarinet, bass clarinet, and flute. Hugh has never told me what to bring. I think my role is as a utility player - he'll slot me in once he sees the lineup of players that actually arrive there. But I'm not going to bring everything - as much as I like WestJet, I am always nervous about the safety of my horns, especially the bari and bass. I also want to bring a quantity of exotic hand percussion and my computer gear. It is impossible for me to travel light, especially to Banff. I'll give Hugh a call to get an idea of what he has in mind for me.

3. My car breaks down, contributing to pattern #4. Last week on the way home from a gig, the gear shift started going and within 24 hours, the car had nothing but 4th gear. We are a one-car family and we are dependent on our 16-year-old Volvo, but this time it was fatal, so we had to go get a new set of wheels last weekend.

4. We have some sort of financial crisis. I really don't know what this is all about. Each year, it's something else. Maybe tax time contributes to it, but something comes out of the blue to effectively drain every cent out of our bank accounts. I figure that those sly Swedes installed a sensor in my car that triggers a significant automotive breakdown once my bank balance rises to a certain amount.

This year, I thought I had it figured out. I sold off a bunch of my old musical gear on eBay and did really well, so there was my money to pay for Banff. Thanks to the car breaking down, that money is now gone. Fortunately, we have some money coming in at the start of the month, and I will just squeak in with my payments to the Banff Centre.

5. Finally, I am not getting enough sleep. Between worries about the car and the finances, and my eight-year-old daughter Cassandra piling into our bed every night, sleep has been at a premium, Just for added effect, I am gigging Friday night and won't get home until 2:00am and my flight to Calgary is at 7:00am. I'm chalking it up as preparation for the long hours I'll be putting in once I arrive there.

No comments: