Saturday, May 20, 2006

Saturday #2

I've had it much more together over the last few hours.

Sombody who might have just started reading this blog starting with the last post may get the impression that I'm some sort of a weepy wimp into self-created drama - that's not how I operate on a daily basis. I consider myself to be a very logical and calm person most of the time. Some of you who know me may take either side of the wimp/non-wimp argument - that's your call.

I came up here to develop as an musician and a creative human being. I could have chosen to hide out behind some cool facade, or I could have filtered what I wrote in this blog. But that was not my choice. I did not want to cheat myself of one iota of this experience.

Despite obstacles which at the time seemed insurmountable, I made my way up here. I decided to go for the total experience, good, bad or otherwise. Like everyone else in the program here, I invested considerable time, money and energy into this time here, and I was determined to get maximum results, even if I didn't have a clue as to what those results would be.

It has been said that how you do one thing is how you do everything. I could have not partipated to the fullest possible during the run of this course. It would probably have increased the chance of getting lukewarm results. But I would have been depriving myself of a rare opportunity to grow.

I am very glad to have gone through what I did over the last two weeks, particularly the last couple of days. It has created an experience that will stay with me forever. It is too early to say for sure that Giant Steps changed my life, but I have a very strong feeling that it has. Hugh has already publicly proclaimed that after listening to Chucho play that yesterday, he is a changed person. It was that heavy.

Giant Steps is a rather apt summation of my four sojourns at Banff.

No comments: