Thursday, October 04, 2007

Bassless ruminations

What a welcome change to play an improv gig at a place with a nice large stage, a Steinway, and with sound, light and stage crew. Someone even carried my gear for me out to the car afterwards, not a small undertaking.

The theatre out at Simon Fraser had everything we needed, though I guess they could have thrown in some catering, at least some red M&Ms. The only hitch was that our bassist had an obligation to be approximately 300 feet due north of us at the exact time of our gig. The fall convocation was going on and Dr. Clyde Reed of the SFU Economics Dept. was called upon by the university president to host a visiting luminary from the world of economics. He's a friend of Clyde's and was going to be recieving an honorary PhD, his umpteenth such honour. Clyde could not say no to this duty, so we went bassless.

But we did not suffer, as we were most pleased to have Peggy Lee fill in on cello, which she did most wonderfully. We had to play only one 45-minute set, which turned out to be three improvs, and before we knew it, we were done. I was just getting warmed up.

My only previous experience playing with Peggy was many years ago at a NOW workshop, where we did a duet. I was in awe of playing with such a fine musician and a bit giddy in hearing how well a tenor sax and a cello went together. Today I was certainly much more at ease, and felt we only scratched the surface of this particular configuration. That said, I missed having Clyde with us as well, as there is a lot to be said for the value of having years of playing together.

We were well received, but I've gotta say, my biggest thrill was having the band up on the marquee outside the theatre. Who does marquees anymore? You can see the convocation going on in the background.

Apparently the concert was free.


No comments: